As the warm weather leaves us, in comes everyone’s favorite cozy sweaters, crunchy leaves, and hot beverages. The cooler weather has us craving less of the crisp & refreshing wines we typically enjoy in the summer, and more of the bold wines that are almost made for sipping in front of the fireplace. But for sangria and wine cocktail lovers, it doesn’t have to be the end of your season. We’ve pulled together our favorite wine cocktails for fall. Some new, some traditional—but all guaranteed to be a new staple this season.
The New York Sour
A timeless variation of the Whiskey Sour, this drink dates back as early as the 1880s. The perfect drink to turn your whiskey friends into wine drinkers. This drink features a vibrant presentation, but with surprisingly simple ingredients. Here’s how to make yours:
2oz Bourbon Whiskey
1oz Lemon Juice
0.5oz Simple Syrup
1oz Dry Red Wine (we recommend a Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot)
- Fill a shaker halfway with ice and add bourbon, lemon juice, and simple syrup. Shake vigorously until the entire shaker is ice cold.
- Strain into a glass. Very slowly pour the red wine on top to create a finishing layer. Serve and enjoy!
Apple Cider Sangria
Sangria-lovers, we were not about to leave you out. This Apple Cider Sangria is Autumn’s perfect answer to your favorite sweet & punchy wine cocktail. This recipe offers the same balance & tartness that traditional sangria boasts, but wrapped up in fall’s classic flavors. And if there’s one drink that Pennsylvania does as well as wine, it’s definitely apple cider. In this recipe, we recommend sliced apples. But you’re welcome to include any of your favorite local & seasonal fruits. Pears, oranges, and more make excellent additions. Here’s how to make yours:
3 Sliced Apples
4 Cinnamon Sticks
750ml Pinot Noir (chilled)
2 cups Apple Cider
1/2 cup Grand Marnier Liqueur
3 tbsp Maple Syrup
- Add your apple slices and cinnamon sticks to the bottom of a drink dispenser. Pour the rest of the ingredients over top and mix. Store in the fridge for at least 1-hour to allow the flavors to marry.
- Garnish with an orange slice and serve.
Another classic cocktail, The Bishop comes in many different shapes & sizes. Our version creates a warm & cozy wine cocktail for rum drinkers. Red wine is so well complemented by the deep caramel notes of a good rum, but they’re rarely matched. The Bishop brings them together without detracting from the bright acidity & complex flavors of Pinot Noir. Here’s how to make yours:
1oz Pinot Noir
1 tsp Simple Syrup
Lime for garnish
- Fill a shaker halfway with ice. Pour in all ingredients and shake vigorously.
- Strain into a chilled glass. Finish with a squeeze of lime and garnish with a slice.
Best Pennsylvania Wines for Fall 2022
If you’re based in Pennsylvania like us, you already know the wines our state is producing are fit for year-round drinking. Our autumn palate usually revolves around jammy, oaky, and bold notes. Notes of spices & dark chocolate are the perfect accompaniment to fall dishes. Explore wineries near you to find your next bottle of Cabernet Franc, Pinot Noir, Merlot, and beyond.